RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Complete one registration form for each participant and submit by the deadline: April 13, 2018.
- Participants of any age may register for either Memorization/Hifdh or Tilawah (Recitation)/Nazirah. Please mark only one box on the registration form.
- Participants may choose to compete in a category above their age, but not below their age.
- Huffadh and Advanced Hifdh Students 13 to 18 may ONLY register for Group 5. Hifdh Students ages 13 and younger may enter Group 3, Group 4 or Group 5.
- Please arrive promptly on the day of the competition.
- All participants are expected to come dressed in appropriate Islamic attire.
Judging Will Be Based on the Following Criteria:
- Memorization (for Hifdh Categories): Participant must have clear and accurate memorization of selections.
- Recitation Category: Perfecting (mastering) the recitation process without committing mistakes in reciting the words and/or verses.
- Tajweed (Recitation) category: Perfecting (mastering) the art of reciting the Qur’an by respecting the correct outputs of the alphabets, phonetics, timing, and applying all the rules of Tajweed.
- Makharij (Articulation) category: Perfecting the style of pronunciation of each Arabic letter and knowing where the sound of each letter comes from.
- Fluency: Continuous flow of recitation while maintaining other qualities.
Tips on Effective Ways to Study for the Competition
- Competitors must bear in mind that they are not competing for any worldly benefit but only for the pleasure of Allah (SWT).
- Participants must memorize and review all the surah required for the competition (with their names) thoroughly and with correct Tajweed.
- Judges will be testing Hifdh, Tajweed (including proper makharij), and proper Waqf (stop).
- Listening to tapes or CDs of professional reciters and trying to imitate them is an effective way to beautify one’s recitation and tajweed.
- These websites (www.quranexplorer.com, www.aswatalislam.net, www.houseofquran.com) can also be used as well as apps such as Ayat, QuranExplorer, and others.
- For additional help, it is always good to practice with a good reciter or Qari so you can correct your mistakes. One must put in extra effort in correcting previous mistakes in order to not repeat them. – While reciting, one must raise his /her voice and read confidently and clearly